Real Estate Underwriter
The underwriting function analyzes real estate debt and equity investments and assesses the risks and mitigates associated with such. Generally, this includes ensuring that the proposed investment is sound real estate, that it meets stated underwriting guidelines, and that it will provide underwritten financial benefits.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Preparing financial pro formas for potential real estate investments
2. Assessing the real estate market where the proposed investment will be located to:
a. Verify the primary market area
b. Identify market comparables
c. Confirm rent and occupancy levels at comparables
d. Identify future developments that may impact demand
e. Determine reasonableness of proposed rents
3. Assessing validity of operating expense assumptions by using comparable data from Cardinal portfolio, appraisal, and data provided by the developer and/or management agent
4. Identifying underwriting issues associated with potential real estate investments
5. Identifying factors of the proposed investment that differ from standard underwriting criteria
6. Preparing presentations of proposed investments to the Development & Acquisitions Teams
7. Preparing term sheets, letters of intent and commitment letters for potential real estate investments
8. Updating investment information in data management system
9. Preparing investment reports for presentation to the Development & Acquisitions Teams
10. Coordinating the preparation of the partnership agreement and loan documents with Cardinal counsel
11. Reviewing due diligence documents related to investment feasibility
12. Preparing the final financial pro forma and transition memo
13. Participating in industry activities, including industry conferences, trade shows, education opportunities, and other events that will benefit Cardinal business relationships
14. Continued education in applicable aspects of the laws and regulations for different programs involved in the investments (Fannie Mae DUS loans, HOME Loans, other loan products, tax credit rules, bond compliance, etc.)
15. Maintaining business relationships with investors, developers, accountants, attorneys, consultants, property manager, housing finance agencies, lenders, and any other related parties
16. Involvement in the assessment of policies and procedures of the underwriting department to assist in continually improving the performance of the department
17. Participation in departmental staff meetings and company-wide staff meetings
18. Maintaining a professional appearance and presence at all times
19. Performing other duties which may be requested by Cardinal management and/or executive
- Communication Proficiency.
- Decision Making.
- Ethical Conduct.
- Financial Management.
- Organizational Skills.
- Personal Effectiveness/Credibility.
- Presentation Skills.
- Problem Solving/Analysis.
- Technical Capacity.
Qualifications & Requirements
1. Bachelor or Master Degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics, Business with related course
work in real estate fundamentals
2. Three years of progressive work experience in the evaluation of real estate investments
3. Ability to model financial investments including expected cash flow and return on
4. Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills, as well as the ability to
work under tight deadlines, manage priorities, and complete assigned tasks with minimal
5. Ability to change direction quickly, team orientated individual who takes initiative and is a self-starter
6. Keen analytical skills and attention to detail
7. Strong PC (Excel, Word, Database) skills are required
1. Knowledge of financial programs and products designed to expand the availability of
affordable housing, including but not limited to, Low Income Housing Tax Credits and
Section 42 of the Internal Revenue Code, Section 8, Rural Development 515, HOME and
other governmental programs.
2. Knowledge of the real estate development process
3. Previous experience underwriting permanent mortgage loans on affordable housing
properties under Fannie Mae guidelines and familiarity with Fannie Mae Multifamily Guide
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Position may work over 40 hour regularly.
No travel is expected for this position.
Bachelor or Master Degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics, Business with related course
work in real estate fundamentals
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Maintenance Technician - Winnebago County (Neenah, Menasha, Oshkosh)
Cardinal Capital Management, Inc. is accepting applications for a Full-Time Property Maintenance Technician for multi-site portfolio located in Neenah, Menasha, and Oshkosh. Qualified candidates will possess 2 years of experience in all aspects of building maintenance including apartment turnover, painting, cleaning, and completing work orders. Individuals must also have strong customer service skills with an emphasis on Fair Housing principals. Some on-call responsibilities may be required. Applicants must have a valid driver's license and proof of insurance. This position offers a stable, long-term employment opportunity and provides hourly compensation. Applicants must provide their own basic tools. If interested please send your resume and cover letter to Nancy Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 608-501-1332
Maintenance Technician - Oconomowoc
Cardinal Capital Management, Inc. is accepting applications for a Part-Time Property Maintenance Technician. This position is located in Oconomowoc. Qualified candidates will possess experience in all aspects of building maintenance including apartment turnover, painting, cleaning, and completing work orders. Individuals must also have strong customer service skills with an emphasis on Fair Housing principals. Some on-call responsibilities may be required. Applicants must have a valid driver's license and proof of insurance. This position offers a stable, long-term employment opportunity and provides hourly compensation. Applicant must provide their own basic tools. If interested please send your resume and cover letter to Nancy Martin at email@example.com or fax to 608-501-1332
Apartment Leasing Agent - Milwaukee
Cardinal Capital Management, Inc. is accepting applications for a Part time Leasing Agent position for a high end apartment complex located in Downtown Milwaukee. This position is Part time employment possibly moving into Full time status.
Ideal Candidate must be organized and customer service oriented. Leasing Agent's responsibilities include but are not limited to: assisting Residents and providing outstanding customer service, conducting market research and assisting with business outreach marketing, resident functions and other promotional programs, answering phone, leasing available apartments, following up on all prospect leads, resident retention, maintaining marketing websites as needed, filing, entering service requests, rent collection, processing applications, walking vacant apartments, and moving in new residents.
Qualified candidates will possess at least 2 years of Sales experience. Apartment leasing experience is a plus. Individuals must also have strong communication, organizational and multi-tasking skills; be goal oriented and willing to adapt to a fast paced changing environment. Applicants must have a valid driver's license and proof of insurance. This position offers a stable, long-term employment opportunity and provides hourly compensation. Applicants will also be required to work most of the weekends. If interested please send your resume and cover letter to Nancy Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to608-501-1332
Thank you for your interest in working for Cardinal Capital Management, Inc. We welcome you to submit your cover letter and resume to be considered for future employment to Nancy Martin at email@example.com or fax to (608)-501-1332.
FREQUENT STAFFING NEEDS ARE AS FOLLOWS:
Property Maintenance and Administration - Milwaukee area